A weekend event for both families wanting a taste of connected village culture, and those who want to learn about mentoring, modelling and holding such a culture. Inspired by the work of the 8 Shields Institute, immersions in Yolngu village culture in Arnhem Land and by involvement in various family and nature camps over the years. It will be led by Mahli Hawke and Nikki Brown from Wildcraft Australia, and supported by other experienced deep nature connection facilitators.
Proposed flow of the weekend…
-Friday evening arrival and camping for full weekenders (mentors, village volunteers and those wanting to learn nature connection modelling). We would also have a short intro to nature connection mentoring Sat morning before the others arrive.
-Saturday (9.30-3.30ish) is a taster day of wild village activities for mentors, volunteers and families. We would draw on core elements of village culture and the natural cycle to create a day of wild story, play, skills and connection. It might include a welcoming circle, orienting to each other and land, themed game/s, focused skill time (adults and youth separate ish), lunch, rest/wander/sit spot, regathering and sharing stories.
Day families would arrive at 9.30 and leave around 3.30, those doing the training would be ready by 8.30 and stay till 5ish or overnight.
– Saturday evening (4-5ish) would include another discussion on nature connection mentoring, followed by dinner and campfire culture (stories, music, song, conversation).
– Sunday morning (8-lunch) we would have space for quieter connection practices, followed by a session on how we can create a village experience that might meet the needs of a diverse community. Children would be able to play nearby (if parents are okay with that), however the learning would be aimed at adults.
– Sunday afternoon 1.30-3ish: After lunch those who are part of the village camp might stay on to talk about the January camp.
Saturday only (9.30 – 3.30):
– $50 for one adult, $80 for two, and
– $40 one child/teen, $60 for two, $70 for three
Full camp (includes camping Fri/Sat and vegetarian dinners).
– $100 per adult,
– $60 one child, $90 for two, $100 for three
Volunteers and Mentors (limited to a certain number) will be given the workshop training in return for helping at our the January camp on the 17-21 January. The training is free and we are asking for a donation of $30 to cover dinners and land.